show navigation hide navigation hide navigation

A Useful Glossary for Driving in Europe

A Useful Glossary for Driving in Europe

We all know how confusing driving in Europe can be if we haven’t taken the time to do our homework and prepare. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a handy glossary that gives you the basic information you need at a glance? Now you can, with this neat little guide. Take a look any time you need to the next time you’re planning on driving somewhere in Europe and need a little bit of extra help getting ready for your trip.

European Health Insurance Card

Also known as the EHIC, this free card available from the NHS can give you access to reduced cost - or sometimes even free - health services when you’re abroad in the EU. Be aware though that an EHIC doesn’t cover the cost of getting you home if you are involved in an accident, so don’t forget to take out travel insurance in addition whatever you do!

GB Sticker

A GB sticker on the bumper of your car is a must when you drive in Europe, whichever country you are visiting. You can pick these up easily at most garages and supermarkets, or alternatively you can order one online before you go. It’s worth noting that if your car already has ‘Europlates’ (license plates with the GB symbol) you don’t need a GB sticker. Otherwise, make sure to get one if you want to avoid a hefty fine. 

NF-Approved Breathalyser

Something that might not occur to everyone is that a portable breathalyser is now a legal requirement when you drive in France. The alcohol limit for all drivers on French roads is 50mg per 100ml of blood, which is much lower than in the UK, so go easy on France’s famous wine! A handy breathalyser kit will instantly be able to tell you if you’ve had a little too much or if are okay to drive.

Reflective Jacket

Another unexpected requirement in some European countries is that drivers need to carry at least one reflective jacket with them in their vehicle. The important thing to remember here when you buy your jackets is that they have to meet the EU standard BS EN 471: 1994 Class 1 or 2, so do check before you hand over your payment.


Need a little more information? If you want to get more specific on the details of driving abroad before you go, you can always contact the Foreign Office. They’ll be able to help you answer any questions you have. And for anything they don’t cover, why not see Breakdown Direct's useful information page for all things accident and breakdown-related in Europe.

ePDQ secure payment

Secure online card transactions through Barclay Card's ePDQ secure payment system.

Related articles

Breakdown Direct - Important Notice!

Breakdown Direct are in the process of arranging new and improved vehicle breakdown solutions for our new customers going forward. All existing policies underwritten by Inter Partner Assistance SA UK Branch remain valid.

While we are doing this we have teamed up with Voyager Insurance Services Ltd, an award winning provider of breakdown and travel insurance established in 1996, to provide breakdown insurance for our new customers and to give you access to instant quotes and cover available online. Please click the applicable link, whereupon you will be transferred to the relevant product and service available from Voyager Insurance Services on their website.

To buy breakdown cover please use the links below

Buy European Breakdown Cover | Buy UK Breakdown Cover

To login to your existing account please use the links below

My Account | Agent Login | Affiliate Login

Breakdown Direct is a trading style and brand of Breakdown Solutions Limited and used under license by Voyager Insurance Services Limited. Breakdown Solutions Limited is an Introducer Appointed Representative of Voyager Insurance Services Ltd for Vehicle Breakdown Insurance, Travel Insurance and related insurance products. Insurance products sold by Voyager Insurance Services limited are arranged and administered by Voyager Insurance Services Ltd on a non-advised basis. Voyager Insurance Services Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Firm Reference Number 305814). Registered address: Bankside 300, Peachman Way, Broadland Business Park, Norwich, Norfolk, NR7 0LB, UK. Administration Address: 13-21 High Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU1 3DG, United Kingdom. Financial Services Register number 202912.